So tenant isn’t paying rent, was laid off in October. Had a good slope job and claims his unemployment ran out. My manager had him sign an affidavit. He’s broken the lease by not paying or even trying to pay. He hasn’t provided proof that he has applied for help.

Doesn’t the moratorium only apply to people that haven’t broken the lease that can’t pay?

Can I ask for bank statements or letters from the state unemployment office ?

• Moderators

We can ask but we can't force a tenant to supply information, it would be volunteer so the state won't provide documents. Since he is 100% non responsive, there are two options. 1- write a letter about AHFC deadline of March 5 pays up to 12 months of rent and utility. Then at the bottom write what happens if he doesn't. (Even if you can't do all of this, state that you will) you will start reporting the debt to credit, you will submit to collection company, and you will do a court trial for judgement. Evictions for possession might not be allowed yet but judgements for debt is allowed. Then end with apply for AHFC and provide the confirmation number for the application. Which will help avoid financial disaster for years.... .......next if no reply......do one from the lawyer saying he has been hired to do court, judgement, collection and credit reporting and to call asap with terms. Then get him to apply for AHFC.

2 minutes ago, SLopez said:

So tenant isn’t paying rent, was laid off in October. Had a good slope job and claims his unemployment ran out. My manager had him sign an affidavit. He’s broken the lease by not paying or even trying to pay. He hasn’t provided proof that he has applied for help.

Doesn’t the moratorium only apply to people that haven’t broken the lease that can’t pay?

Can I ask for bank statements or letters from the state unemployment office ?

Perhaps you could present this to them for assistance. 

https://www.alaskahousingrelief.org/

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By LynnSmith
      Ok please bare with me and all advice is appreciated. My tenants have been the worst and i'm wondering how to proceed.
      Backstory: Couple has been living in one of my 3-bedrooms in a 4-plex since December. They signed a 6-month lease, ending on May 31st 2021. On February 3rd, the gentleman texted me saying he was giving me 30-day notice to vacate because he had orders to re-locate to Texas (military). I thanked him and reminded him of the expectation to provide a copy of his official orders, so that he was not penalized for breaking the lease early. I also clarified with him at that point that they'd be out on or by March 5th and he said he would be.
      Fast forward to the 5th, (friday) which was their 30-days, a call was made to address them still being their and to ask when they'd be out and if he had a copy of his orders (because he still hadn't provided this information) He hung up after being rude and said he "didn't have to provide us with ANYTHING". He was threatening in nature and ultimately said they didn't know when they'd be out. Then they texted me a bunch of rude text messages about "blindsiding" them.
      I followed up by saying that I needed an exact move-out date from them, as I'd already had someone lined up to rent he apartment (which I did) and that I'd now need to let them know they couldn't move in. I sent a nice, professional and thorough email to both of them addressing this need and demanding a response from them. They responded by email saying they didn't have an exact date because "that's not how the military works" and we "must not know anything" etc.
      I sent a response saying that there must be a misunderstanding on their end because I needed an exact date of their move-out, not just a response from them saying "I don't know when we'll be out". I also said that if I couldn't get an established move-out date from them, then March 31st would serve as their last day and they'd need to be out by then. (Which for the record I think is still nice of us considering their attitude and the fact that they'd already said they'd be out by march 5th and weren't. I gave them until tomorrow evening at 5pm to respond to me with an EXACT move-out date.
      Anyways...I'm pretty sure they're not going to have a date for me. SO I reviewed the sample documents in the Alaska Landlord Tenant act to see what kind of eviction notice i'd give them and when.
      Here's my questions:
      Would you serve an eviction notice to them on Tuesday morning (March 9th) saying that they have until the 31st to be out? If so, where is a good form for this, because the ones in the AK Landlord tenant act, says they have 10-days which isn't what I want, since I already stupidly gave them until the end of the month.
      OR would you wait until April 1st to do anything further, and then on that morning if they're still there, THEN give them an eviction notice? IF this option, how much longer would you give them to be OUT??
      What other advice do you have? I'll see if I can add some pictures of our interactions in the comment section in case any of that is helpful.
      Thanks so much guys!
    • By SLopez
      Mountain View landlords.....any words of wisdom in considering a property in that area? Are you happy with your investment?
  • Tell a friend

Love The Landlord's Almanac? Tell a friend!
  • Upcoming Events

No upcoming events found
  • Latest Products

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.