How to give end lease notice

Kassandra RPM Alaska

• Moderators

Megan Asked - 

"Need advice! We are planning to switch our long term rental to a short term rental and I’m worried about telling my tenants. Young couple, they moved in last April when we moved out and I think they hoped to stay there for a while. It’s a pretty good deal and in a wonderful location (which is why we want to STR it). The tenants have been great for the past 10 months, but did have one late payment this month. They communicated with me ahead of time that it would be a couple days late, but it does make me a little worried about their future payments. The lease ends April 30th. I want to tell them that we will not be renewing the lease without ruffling feathers so they don’t mistreat the house or stop paying rent. I was thinking I about telling them after they pay next months rent on the 1st so they have 60 days to look. Any advice on how or when to tell them? We usually communicate via text- is it ok to tell them this via text?"

I am glad this topic came up as I am in a similar situation in not planning to renew the lease with my current tenant of the owner occupied duplex I just purchased. I am currently updating my side  with plans to update the renter side when the tenant's lease ends.  So I looked up some  things and here is what I found. 

AS 34.03.290(b)
The landlord or the tenant may terminate a month to month tenancy by a written notice given to the other at least 30 days before the rental due date specified in the notice.  http://www.akleg.gov/basis/statutes.asp#34.03

Found this in PUB-30 Published by the Alaska Court System:
A 30-day written notice is required when the landlord wishes to terminate a month-to-month tenancy for general reasons.This notice must be delivered 30 days before the rental due date specified in the notice as the termination date.
Notices of Termination of Tenancy (also called “Notices to Quit”) from the landlord must be served on the tenant by:
- delivering the notice in person to the tenant or occupant;
-  leaving the notice at the dwelling when the tenant is absent from the premises; or
-  sending the notice by registered or certified mail

It appears text is not a viable means of communicating your intent to not renew the lease. I agree with Matt Miller that more notice than 30 days is probably better to reduce stress in planning for a move.  I don't think you should worry about your tenants retaliating by damaging your rental or not paying rent until it happens. Then there would be other legal avenues to pursue if that happens. 

In my case I may offer full refund of the deposit and $500 if they are willing to leave sooner than lease end date and there are is no major damage left behind. I am planning to rehab to dirty carpets and dented bedroom doors are not an issue with me. 

Vic 

• Like 1