Sump/highwater alarm

Ben Persinger

I have a place that is somewhat susceptible to flooding if a sump breaks down during a particularly bad breakup or storm. What I want is a water backup alarm that will call or text me if it fails.

There are a bunch of them out there but most rely on wifi or some other internet/phone connection. I have heard there are some systems that you can pay a small annual fee for data and it uses the cellular networks to text you. Have any of you used one of these systems? Good? Bad? 

Edited by Ben Persinger

• Moderators

There is a device at Homedepot or Lowes where when it sensors water it gives off a very loud sound like a smoke alarm. No way a tenant can't hear it and start calling for help.  We used this under sinks, fridges, and laundry machines in our problem buildings.  I don't know how that would work around a sump pump because there is always water there.  I do know you have to watch the batteries on it.  I can't remember the name of it either because RPM doesn't manage lower end buildings much anymore.

I have a buddy in Homer that got Viviant to do an alarm system that watches heat and water. I don't know what device it was they used, but it signals on his phone and has saved him from many big issues. Which, that is a internet one i beleive.

I know Victor at Twins played with a lot of options. I don't remember what his answer was on it.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the follow up @Kassandra RPM Alaska. I looked at the audible alarm options and they are good but in the area it is at I am trying to have one that will call or text me directly. I did some research and found a source for one that works from the cellular networks and the reviews are good so I may give that a try. There is an annual fee of $50 for a data only plan from verizon but that is pretty cheap monitoring if it works well. I also read that the unit can be paired with other input sensors as well for other types of events such as power failure, temp, etc. I will try to remember to post a follow up once I test it out.

• 5 weeks later...