Raising Rental Property Equity

ddsk1191

Hey folks,

I'm curious what renovations or improvements have generated the highest return on investment for you, and how you went about determining that on your rental property. Did you use energy star tests as a starting point?

I'm considering installing some new high quality bathroom fans and an HRV system and wondering what the return might be like on that. 

Cheers,

Dev

• Like 2

• Moderators
On 12/5/2018 at 4:47 PM, ddsk1191 said:

Hey folks,

I'm curious what renovations or improvements have generated the highest return on investment for you, and how you went about determining that on your rental property. Did you use energy star tests as a starting point?

I'm considering installing some new high quality bathroom fans and an HRV system and wondering what the return might be like on that. 

Cheers,

Dev

Hey there! @ddsk1191

I have done the energy rating but it worked because at the time we lived in the unit.  I'm not sure they allow that program anymore and for non-occupied unit.

I've seen the best returns is things that make the place "clean".  Meaning all door knobs and hinges are the same.  Don't need a new kitchen but a counter tops and the trendy color painted works.

I believe it all depends on the end goal as to how far you design it.

Kass

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Great question on the energy rating. It definitely depends on your situation and what your long term goals are with the property. I feel like the energy rating definitely helps with resale of the home and i believe it is a selling point with tenants as their utility costs will likely be lower. 

That said what @Kassandra RPM Alaska Said is my usual go to for roi on improvements is the cosmetic updates, clean fresh paint, new flooring, hardware and light fixtures. As far as energy improvements go (note this would be for an older home) adding insulation to the attic, upgrading old leaky windows, and upgrading your entry doors can slow a lot of leaks and cold spots in the house. 

• Like 1