Neighbor Issues

admin

From a TLA member - I have a serious slumlord in my decent neighborhood with a four-plex who is renting out to junkies and prostitutes. YEAH! I have seen pictures of the mold, water damage, and peeling paint (my guess since the building is from the early 70s there is lead in the paint) It is definitely a health hazard.

Any suggestions for us neighbors who are getting things stolen like crazy since this insanity started a few years ago?

Any chance you could form an HOA? I think you only need 45% of the neighborhood to agree to one to make it happen. You could also continuously call the police on them whenever you see something illegal happening. After I believe 7 calls to a residence, at least here in AK, the police will start finding the homeowner. Not small fines either. Just keep racking them up until the slumlord changes his ways or goes bankrupt. Then you can buy the property and flip it :)

• Like 1

• Moderators

I could be wrong but I think the 911 fine is only Anchorage municipality.  It is a good trick to use to try and get the landlords attention when they get that fine.  I heard one landlord got a fine for $500.....and catholic social service had a $20k fine causing the sleeping area to close.  They really enforce this fine!

• Like 1

I believe you may be right about that Kass. Anchorage and other cities gave code violations too that I am sure you could look up. Such as junk cars, etc they could get fined with. I know Matsu valley and Anchorage have some codes like that.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I have been working on this a bit for a derelict property next to a couple of my places in Anchorage as well as for some clients. If you're not in an hoa and they are current on their taxes it's harder to go after them. That said the excess 911 calls fine is a good way to go, also if they are parking excessive cars there or blocking the road calling the non-emergency number to apd can help. The one I am fighting kept parking stuff on the street and partially blocking the road.  I along with some others kept calling it in and they eventually flagged a bunch of it for towing and it magically disappeared. Still ugly but they moved some to the back yard at least ?

• Like 1