Non-Paying tenant

SLopez

So tenant isn’t paying rent, was laid off in October. Had a good slope job and claims his unemployment ran out. My manager had him sign an affidavit. He’s broken the lease by not paying or even trying to pay. He hasn’t provided proof that he has applied for help.

Doesn’t the moratorium only apply to people that haven’t broken the lease that can’t pay?

Can I ask for bank statements or letters from the state unemployment office ?

• Moderators

We can ask but we can't force a tenant to supply information, it would be volunteer so the state won't provide documents. Since he is 100% non responsive, there are two options. 1- write a letter about AHFC deadline of March 5 pays up to 12 months of rent and utility. Then at the bottom write what happens if he doesn't. (Even if you can't do all of this, state that you will) you will start reporting the debt to credit, you will submit to collection company, and you will do a court trial for judgement. Evictions for possession might not be allowed yet but judgements for debt is allowed. Then end with apply for AHFC and provide the confirmation number for the application. Which will help avoid financial disaster for years.... .......next if no reply......do one from the lawyer saying he has been hired to do court, judgement, collection and credit reporting and to call asap with terms. Then get him to apply for AHFC.

2 minutes ago, SLopez said:

So tenant isn’t paying rent, was laid off in October. Had a good slope job and claims his unemployment ran out. My manager had him sign an affidavit. He’s broken the lease by not paying or even trying to pay. He hasn’t provided proof that he has applied for help.

Doesn’t the moratorium only apply to people that haven’t broken the lease that can’t pay?

Can I ask for bank statements or letters from the state unemployment office ?

Perhaps you could present this to them for assistance. 

https://www.alaskahousingrelief.org/