Ongoing noise saga

ddsk1191

They all complain about each other but there is one group of tenants who seem to cause more noise than others. They work night shift and have small kids so usually some noise late at night. They are very good about paying their rent on time and want to stay for a while though. 

• Like 1

• Moderators

@ddsk1191 This is always a difficult one to manage.  At Real Property Management when we can't narrow down the issue quickly we will go back to the drawing board.  We track date/time of the occurrence. What can they hear. When they hear it. And ask for audio recordings.  In most of our cases, we figure out the problem within 1-2 weeks.  It is either a person/unit, education on "acceptable noise", or we start looking at the building components - typically insulation.   If you can find a "consistent" time of when it is happening, we usually schedule a time to be there at that time also. We typically can find the person this way and knock on the door and teach or have a frank conversation.

Only once, did I do a concept of letting the tenants battle it out because we couldn't figure it out. I made a formal letter to all tenants. Basically saying, the building is fine, hours of silent time has been told, and have determined it is everyone bothering everyone and not being kind to neighbors. As a result, everyone needs to learn to be neighborly and to have conversations with each other. Or every time i get a complain I will fine the party.    Well, no one complained and they all started to talk and work it out like adults. Keep in mind this was in a building where tenants were a little more professional.

Hope this gave some ideas.

Happy Landlording

• Like 1

• Moderators

Great question!  @ddsk1191

So a fourplex is a bit different than a duplex.  Also the rating A, B, C helps use determine the nature.  So we have an email template that shows a list of things that isn't acceptable after 10pm.  I believe I got this from Muni actually. Example: No vacuuming, washing clothes, dishwashers, hallway chatter, slamming doors, TV on low volumes, conversations in low not high volume (like fights, kid screams, etc) after 10pm.    Just read muni, make a list, post in a letter the quiet hours and what that means in "activities".

Anchorage measures sound based on decimals. Hard to determine that since you and I would never own the equipment to test that! Lol....So we found it best to describe the activities not allowed that would create sounds that resonate loudly in a fourplex setting.

• Like 1