Dog Breed

SLopez

1 minute ago, SLopez said:

What are your thoughts on renting to tenants with "aggressive breed" dogs? Do you require proof of dog training? Insurance? Or is it not worth risking the liability?

I love renting to people with dogs. I accept dogs “on approval” and charge extra rent and an increased security deposit. However, I do not rent to people with dogs banned by my insurance carrier.

2 minutes ago, SLopez said:

What are your thoughts on renting to tenants with "aggressive breed" dogs? Do you require proof of dog training? Insurance? Or is it not worth risking the liability?

I love renting to people with dogs. I accept dogs “on approval” and charge extra rent and an increased security deposit. However, I do not rent to people with dogs banned by my insurance carrier.

1 minute ago, LynnSmith said:

charging extra rent can be considered discrimination. It can be looked at like charging extra for little children. I believe that’s the comparable they used in court. My uncle was taken to court for this once, as the landlord, and lost. Really depends on the judge

6 minutes ago, SLopez said:

I had tenant ‘s dog bite a kid in the face (friends of tenant that they invited over) cost me 3 years in court and finally settled for 200 thousand

2 minutes ago, Chris Bend said:

An added thought -- 

Define “aggressive breed”

1 minute ago, LynnSmith said:

with a quick google search, this is a list of aggressive breeds that a lot of insurance companies exclude. I need to contact my insurance and find out if all dogs are covered or not.

151943879_10215499030742715_938222317471351727_n.jpg

I asked the question cause you’re walking on thin ice with that one, i wouldn’t tell a perspective tenant a rejection had to do with a type of dog, for that matter I’ve seen a golden retriever, one of the most docile breeds known to man try to bite a kids head off, I’ve also known a pit bull that you that was soft as butter and would sooner give up its life than bite a soul.

3 minutes ago, Chris Bend said:

An added thought -- 

Define “aggressive breed”

“Aggressive breeds”

The meanest dogs I’ve ever encountered were labs and chihuahuas. I don’t think those generally fall under what people define as aggressive. The sweetest baby was a pitbull/Bull mastiff mix. Probably on the list. I think the recommendations for insurance suggestions and personal preference goes a long way in this decision. The owner will make the world of a difference in the animals behavior as well, so I’d take that into account.