Can't Pay Anymore

SLopez

Tenant got diagnosed with terminal cancer and now he doesn’t work. The wife doesn’t make enough money to pay the rent. Last month they were able to pay and I waive their late fee considering the situation. This month they only have half of the rent but they did not mention anything until my property manager inquired why the rent haven’t been pay yet.
Their rent is $1900 a month and they asked me to let them go with only paying $1000.
Their lease is in effect until July next year.

I am considering with letting then go but still paying $1400 which will cover the mortgage on the property for this month.

What do you guys think/suggest? I don’t want to hurt them but at the same time do not want to hurt myself.

• 1 month later...

Is it just the two of them? Do you have any other properties that is more affordable  you could move them into if one became available? Sounds like even if you reduced their rent to 1400 they may not be able to provide that. I would present a mutual agreement to vacate rather than face eviction. Let them know there’s options that way you can get a tenant in there that can and will pay their full obligation and they can move to a better situation themselves. This is a hard situation! 

• Like 2