1st week being a landlord

Chris Bend

Been a landlord for a week, already having issues with a tenant. The tenant was informed by pervious owner his lease would not continue next month 30 days before March 1st. His year long lease expired in June of 2020 which was now on a month to month but nothing in writing. I called the tenant after closing to inform him his rent for Feb. would be due to me and he was upset I was not renewing the lease. I told him I'm sorry for not being able to give him more notice but we will not be continuing the lease. He then texted me today stating he has found a new place and will be moving out next week, mid month. As of now he has not paid Feb. rent, which is due today on the 5th.

On top of this I was originally told the utilities of gas and electricity were in the tenants name. But the tenant also text me photos of shut off notices. I called I have switched the utilities in my name since I do not want the heat to shut off. They informed me that pervious owner was paying utilities since last Oct. I am not sure how to continue and think I should get lawyer involved now. I do have this tenants security deposit. Any suggestions?

• Sad 1

Cut your losses and move on. Lesson learned for how you should move forward with your own lease and deposit. Speaking of, did the previous owner give you the deposit? That should cover 2wks rent and utilities, reducing your loss.

If he trashed it, consider pursuing. If not, and he actually does move, I’d count blessings and walk away...

In the mean time, be super nice, but post notices of default, etc.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Everyone should consider paying for a PM or software. A good PM has credit reporting and collections which solves this issue. Last month I had over $6,000 in past tenants paying up. As a DIY landlord, use a program and remind them you are reporting. It will help and be worth the mula. If you don't have it - well......hard to get blood out of a turnip and I'm sorry this happened.