Military Tenant Payment

KarlaH

We bought a four Plex on November 6th. Very nice military guy lives in one of the units. His November rent was already received by the sellers and transferred to us during the sale.

Then in December, he said that the “finance office” had difficulty with transferring things to our name so we didn’t get December‘s rent until January 26th. I was patient because I felt like it was a likely story. He told me they still haven’t figured things out when I asked him about January‘s rent halfway through January. Then in February he said he was just going to “double up” and pay for January and February sometime at the middle of February. I still haven’t seen the money and now he’s late on March as well. What do you suggest I do? I so badly want to believe that he is telling the truth and is working on getting it all fixed but if I am wrong, he is THREE months behind on rent. i’m nervous to serve an eviction notice because I don’t want to create negative rapport if he’s being honest, but how do I verify that the information he is telling us is correct?

4Trish Neal and 3 others

19 Answers

Comment

1 minute ago, KarlaH said:

We bought a four Plex on November 6th. Very nice military guy lives in one of the units. His November rent was already received by the sellers and transferred to us during the sale.

Then in December, he said that the “finance office” had difficulty with transferring things to our name so we didn’t get December‘s rent until January 26th. I was patient because I felt like it was a likely story. He told me they still haven’t figured things out when I asked him about January‘s rent halfway through January. Then in February he said he was just going to “double up” and pay for January and February sometime at the middle of February. I still haven’t seen the money and now he’s late on March as well. What do you suggest I do? I so badly want to believe that he is telling the truth and is working on getting it all fixed but if I am wrong, he is THREE months behind on rent. i’m nervous to serve an eviction notice because I don’t want to create negative rapport if he’s being honest, but how do I verify that the information he is telling us is correct?

4Trish Neal and 3 others

19 Answers

Comment

It’s BS. He doesn’t transfer anything into your name. He receives Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH) once a month. It is deposited into whatever account he’s setup for his base pay to be deposited right along with other allocations. Unfortunately it’s not like the old days where you could get their First Shirt involved and they square it up. I’d evict ASAP. I dealt with an Army couple that was terrible. Still my worst tenants to date.

f the rent is being paid to the landlord as an automatic deduction out of their paycheck, it can absolutely involve finance. I have military tenants and my husband is Alaska Guard - military. The finance office can definitely be involved and their wheels do NOT turn quickly or efficiently.

That being said, I would definitely push the issue. He needs to be invested enough to be hassling finance about fixing the issue. If you're not pushing him, he's not pushing them and they'll never fix it. So definitely pursue the issue but just know that it's not impossible to have finance involved and them to be doing a terrible job.

Just now, SLopez said:

f the rent is being paid to the landlord as an automatic deduction out of their paycheck, it can absolutely involve finance. I have military tenants and my husband is Alaska Guard - military. The finance office can definitely be involved and their wheels do NOT turn quickly or efficiently.

That being said, I would definitely push the issue. He needs to be invested enough to be hassling finance about fixing the issue. If you're not pushing him, he's not pushing them and they'll never fix it. So definitely pursue the issue but just know that it's not impossible to have finance involved and them to be doing a terrible job.

Agree 100% been there done that and the finance office will look at you like you have gone crazy. I would call Army finance and ask them if they can confirm or deny because you are getting ready to serve eviction notice. Then I would also call his command. If his story is right then having his commander light some fire under finances butt will help your renter. If not then you have your answer.

Back in the day, but not so long ago that things haven't changed, we had an allotment taken out of my husbands pay that went straight towards rent. When our rent increased, I had to pay the difference for almost a year because finance just never got it right changing the amount. Its plausable.

Just now, KarlaH said:

Do you know how I can get his first sergeants contact info? He is an inherited tenant so I don’t think I have his detailed employment information.

if you simply ask him and he's got an honest story to back him up then he will give it to you freely. If he makes excuses or drags his feet about getting you that simple contact info that every member should already have on them at all times then you have your answer with the first concern. Worst case you can always stop at the visitors center near the front gate with his lease/any other personal info he has provided for both Elmendorf or Fort Rich depending on his branch and ask the customer service desk for said info.

1 minute ago, KarlaH said:

Do you know how I can get his first sergeants contact info? He is an inherited tenant so I don’t think I have his detailed employment information.

Simple ask him for his first shirts contact information. If it is a finance issue then you talking to his chain of command should get faster results. If he's making things up and won't give you the contact info then do little digging, finding what unit he is with is easy with only a a name, he could have his unit in his social media also.

When I was a young airman living in Italy finance messed my BAH up for 3 months and I was paying rent from my base pay which it took both paychecks in the month to get rent paid in full but I was in constant contact with my landlord and I ended up taking the issue up my chain and my chief went to finance and got it fixed within the pay period